Sunday, June 3, 2012

CrackerJack & Friend


Crackerjack & Friend
This was one of those quiet summer afternoons. It was fairly late and I decided to walk to the far corner of my place to check on my horses. As I walked down a path lined with tall pine trees and entered the lush open pasture, I came upon what must be one of the most peaceful scenes on this earth.
My small herd of five was lazily grazing in the warm sun with their backs to a slight southern breeze. In the corner, by the creek, stood Crackerjack, my oldest and wisest by far, being about 25. The rest of the herd was only a few feet away and I noticed that they were followed by a small flock of what I guessed to be starlings. When I looked back at Crackerjack, I saw that he had only one feathered friend and it seemed to be fearlessly hoping along beside what must have seemed to be a mammoth size nose.
Undisturbed by my presence, I quietly watched as these two moved slowly along, side by side. I could only guess that as Crackerjack pulled at the grass, cropping it close to the ground, sometimes pulling it up by the roots, that his little pasture buddy would pick at the bugs and grubs that had been unearthed by the pulls.
Everyone seemed very content so I turned to make my way back to the house. As I walked away I was left with the feeling that I had been viewing a long-term relationship which probably occurred every day. And, that for Crackerjack to be so tolerant, I guessed that he too was benefitting. His small friend must have been keeping the pesky bugs from lighting on his nose and face as he grazed.
11x15 watercolor on fabriano 140lb

No comments: