Monday, December 27, 2010

Dog & Horse Group Portrait - Collection of Animals

I love painting these group portraits. They are a collection of animals that belong or have belonged to one person or family. The finished size is 20 x 8 1/2. I tend to prefer non-standard sizes. Anyway, Merriam-Webster defines group as 1) two or more figures forming a complete unit in a composition or 2) a number of individuals assembled to together having some unifying relationship. Both definitions fit the way I feel about this piece. Interestingly, the 2 horses are the ones that I rescued a while back. [They have since been adopted into a forever home (YAY)]. When I first rescued them, I needed a place to park them for a while to have a vet determine whether they had any communicable disease before putting them with my horses. So, I found a "foster" home just up the road from me, as they say. This "foster" family thoroughly enjoyed them and ended up keeping them until they were adopted. I was honored to paint this group belonging to the family that so generously provided a home for these horses in such desperate need.

No comments: